The University of South Carolina is seeking a visionary leader who will employ business acumen and diversity of thought to serve as the Executive Director of Enterprise Applications.
Reporting directly to the Vice President for Information Technology/Chief Information Officer, the next Executive Director of Enterprise Applications will be a pivotal member of the central IT Leadership Team whose strategic priorities are closely aligned with the teaching, research, student services and administrative needs of the University. In consultation with the CIO and leadership, the Executive Director of Enterprise Applications is responsible for planning, organizing, and directing information technology staff and projects in the areas of Applications Development, Packaged & ERP Software Systems, Database & Engineering, Identity and Access Management, Microsoft Office 365, and Data Warehouse systems.
A full description of the position, including desired qualifications and instructions on the application process can be found in the position profile HERE.
- Master’s degree in business administration, information technologies or related field and 8 years related IT management experience; or a Bachelor’s degree and 10 years of related IT experience.
- Ability to plan, organize and review the work of technical personnel. Excellent communication skills and the ability to establish and maintain working relationships with users, technical staff, management, and vendors.
- Vast knowledge of both stable and emerging technologies as well as an understanding of the needs and goals of the University.
- Other essential business skills include: strategic planning, finance modeling, presentations, proposal development, and policy/standards development.
- A high degree of mental discipline to effectively balance multiple concurrent tasks. This position experiences many interruptions and a substantial amount of stress must be managed.
- Ability to read and comprehend technical documents, excellent written and verbal communication skills, strong math, analytical reasoning, and problem solving are requirements of this position.
- Demonstrated attention to detail, professional attitude, and ability to maintain confidentiality.
- This position requires working according to scheduled office hours and to arrive at work to address problems encountered outside of normal working hours. The position requires one to sit for many hours at a desk and in meetings, to speak with staff members, to stand to present to groups of people, and to write reports using both pen and paper as well as personal computer.
- Experienced leadership in an organization that thrives with an IT governance framework in which multiple constituencies are continuously represented and actively engaged, and in which the IT organization has been positively responsive to their decisions, priorities and strategic guidance.
- Certified project manager or formal project management training preferred.
This search is being assisted by Academic Search, and all inquiries for confidential conversations should be directed to Senior Consultant Nancy Suttenfield (email@example.com). Beginning in January 2022 applications will receive review and consideration, and interviews may commence. While the position will remain open until filled, we hope to start the new Executive Director by April 2022; an earlier start is negotiable. A completed application will include the following:
- A cover letter that addresses the essential and preferred qualifications above, other relevant and transferable personal experiences, and describes your specific interest and experience with the following four areas (500-word limit each):
- prior leadership with migrating to cloud, administering and modernizing cloud-based applications, and DevOps concepts and practices,
- contract and vendor management, especially in representing customers’ needs to drive continuous improvement,
- leadership in building diverse, successful teams and achieving inclusive excellence,
- and prior involvement in and experiences with IT governance.
- A curriculum vita.
- Names and contact information for five references with a note indicating the relationship to the applicant (references will not be contacted without your permission).
- Please note that an official employment application with the university will be required of the individual selected.
- Upon receipt of application, a confidential equal employment opportunity form will be provided for completion and return to Academic Search.
The search process will uphold the highest standards of confidentiality allowed by state law and University policies regarding the search process. Applications and nominations should be sent to UofSCEDEA@academicsearch.org
The University of South Carolina does not discriminate in educational or employment opportunities on the basis of race, sex, gender, gender identity, transgender status, age, color, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, genetics, protected veteran status, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions.