Radford University Interim President Carolyn Ringer Lepre enthusiastically invites nominations and applications for the University’s next Dean of the Artis College of Science and Technology. The Dean will be an inspirational and accomplished scholar, responsible for providing leadership, and overall academic, administrative, and financial management of the College, including strategic planning; leadership in prospect cultivation, donor development, and fundraising; support for instruction and research; personnel evaluations; preparation and management of budgets; support of faculty external grant writing; and curriculum development. In addition, the dean oversees program accreditation renewal processes and supports initial accreditation activities in the College. The new Dean, expected to assume office in the summer of 2022, will report to the Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs.
The Artis College is acclaimed for its student-faculty collaborative research and keen focus on teaching. The mission of student transformation is robust in addressing first-generation, gender and ethnic diversity and inclusion, as evidenced by the $1 M Howard Hughes Medical Institute (HHMI) Inclusive Excellence grant, REALising Inclusive Science Excellence, awarded in 2017 through 2022 with a no cost extension into 2023. The Dean will have abundant opportunities to engage faculty, students and staff in the newly renovated (spring 2020) Reed and Curie Halls, Center for the Science (new in 2016), Davis and Whitt Halls, as well as on the RUC campus and at the Selu Conservancy.
- Ph.D. in a discipline represented in the Artis College and an academic record of teaching and scholarly work appropriate to hold tenure and rank of professor in a discipline in the college
- Experience with administrative academic leadership as Dean, Director, or Department Chair
- Evidence of demonstrated effectiveness in implementations of visionary leadership and documented success in academic leadership
- A substantial number of years of documented excellence in academic experience, including teaching, scholarly work, and service at a four-year college or university
- A record of progressive and collaborative leadership at a university or similar institution that includes: (1) strategic planning, (2) budget planning and management, (3) curriculum and/or personnel development, (4) an aptitude for external grant and fund development, and fundraising and donor development, and (5) a commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Evidence of the leadership attributes outlined in the Leadership Attributes and Leadership Agenda sections.
Complete details on this opportunity, including the leadership agenda can be found in the position prospectus available at open searches- academic search.
PROCEDURES FOR NOMINATIONS AND APPLICATIONS
Radford University is being assisted in this search by Academic Search. Nominations, applications, and inquiries may be sent in complete confidence to ArtisDean@academicsearch.org. Initial screening of applications will begin immediately. The position is open until filled, and applications received by Monday, April 11, 2022 can be assured best consideration.
Applications must include a cover letter that addresses the expectations discussed in the leadership agenda section of the position prospectus; a curriculum vitae; a two-page statement that describes demonstrated leadership skills, abilities, and commitment necessary to advance diversity, equity, inclusion, access, and justice; and a list of at least five professional references with contact information, including telephone and email, and a note indicating the candidate’s working relationship with each. References will not be contacted without the explicit permission of the candidate.
Nominators and prospective candidates also may arrange a confidential conversation about this opportunity with Nancy Suttenfield, Senior Consultant, at firstname.lastname@example.org, or Rich Cummins, Senior Consultant, at email@example.com.
Radford University is an EO/AA employer committed to diversity. All new hires to Radford University are subject to E-Verify. E-Verify is administered by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, USCIS-Verification Division, and the Social Security Administration and allows participating employers to electronically verify employment eligibility.
This contractor and subcontractor shall abide by the requirements of 41 CFR 60-300.5(a). This regulation prohibits discrimination against qualified protected veterans and requires affirmative action by covered prime contractors and subcontractors to employ and advance in employment qualified protected veterans.