The University of Maryland Eastern Shore (UMES), the state’s historically black, 1890 land-grant institution, invites inquiries, nominations, and applications for Vice President for Finance and Administration (VPFA). Reporting directly to President Heidi M. Anderson, the VPFA is the chief financial officer for the University. The ideal candidate will be an innovative leader who will share a commitment to supporting a diverse and inclusive environment that provides high-quality academic and co-curricular experiences.
- CPA and/or MBA, or master’s degree or higher in a related field.
- At least ten years of progressively responsible experience in senior management positions with significant business and fiscal responsibilities in higher education.
- Demonstrated knowledge of, and experience with, strategic, capital, master, and budget planning; generally accepted accounting principles; capital construction contracts and related activities; modern human resource practices, philosophies, and principles; financial systems and processes; real estate acquisition and management; collective bargaining contracts, negotiations, and strategies; compliance with tax, environmental and related state/federal laws and regulations; business processes, reengineering and continuous improvement strategies; risk management; and health and safety matters.
- Familiarity with the above functions as they relate to higher education.
- Evidence of working successfully with state, federal, and external agencies.
Desired Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Demonstrated ability to develop and promote excellence in business affairs.
- Commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- A record of success leading organizational change and implementing quality management approaches.
- Ability to work effectively and transparently in a highly collaborative, diverse academic community as well as with groups external to the University.
- Ability to think and act creatively and strategically in support of the University’s mission.
- Knowledge of the changing role of the university and information technology trends.
- Ability to manage multiple initiatives to successful completion and proactively recognize opportunities and challenges.
- Ability to think globally and systemically, balanced by the ability to act.
- Demonstrate fiscal, ethical, and strategic leadership skills with a proven record of helping to build a sustainable financial structure.
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to demonstrate strength in relating to a wide range of constituencies.
For complete details on this opportunity please review the position profile on the open search page https://academicsearch.org/open-searches-public/
This search is assisted by Academic Search, Inc., and a university search committee. Applications should consist of:
- A detailed cover letter addressing the expectations of the position;
- A current curriculum vitae (CV); and
- A list of five professional references with contact information and a note explaining the working relationship of each to the applicant.
References will not be contacted without the explicit permission of the candidate. All documents should be in PDF format.
Nominations and applications should be sent electronically to UMESVPFA@academicsearch.org. The position is open until filled, but only applications received by July 29, 2022, can be assured full consideration. Nominators and prospective candidates may arrange a confidential discussion about this opportunity with Nancy Suttenfield, Senior Consultant, at email@example.com or Rich Cummins, Ph.D., Senior Consultant, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The University of Maryland Eastern Shore actively subscribes to a policy of Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action and will not discriminate against any employee or applicant because of race, age, physical or mental disability, marital status, gender, or gender expression religion, national origin or political affiliation.