The Board of Directors of the Council of Independent Colleges in Virginia (CICV) invites inquiries, nominations, and applications for the position of President. The Board seeks a creative, forward-looking leader with exceptional communication and interpersonal skills who will provide strategic leadership in matters of policy, research, and legislation and external communications, and build productive relationships among CICV member presidents, legislators, and policymakers.
Founded in 1971, CICV represents 27 independent colleges and universities in Virginia in public policy advocacy and collaborates with members on programs to control campus operating costs and improve efficiency. The primary mission of CICV is advocacy for state and federal policies in support of Virginia’s independent higher education institutions and their 150,000 students, especially the Virginia Tuition Assistance Grant (TAG). In addition, CICV provides significant and innovative member services, including a healthcare benefits consortium and a 403(b) multi-employer retirement plan. The President oversees the coordination of collaborative projects including government relations, marketing, and business and purchasing activities, reporting directly to the Board of Directors which is composed of the presidents of member institutions. CICV’s reputation, influence, and programming have expanded steadily under the leadership of Robert Lambeth, who is retiring after over four decades as president.
The presidential transition comes at a time of change in higher education and in Virginia state government, presenting challenges and opportunities for the new leadership of CICV. The next president will continue traditional advocacy in support of TAG, while seeking new avenues to expand participation in education policy and state support for independent higher education. A high priority will be developing strategies and technology for delivering clear and consistent external messaging.
The responsibilities and duties of the next president of CICV are to:
- Provide visionary leadership for CICV that enhances the stature and capacity of Virginia independent colleges and universities;
- Serve as an articulate spokesperson and advocate for independent higher education and maintain positive and productive relationships with state legislators and administrative officials;
- Bring together Virginia’s diverse independent colleges and universities around common initiatives and communications about the value of an independent higher education;
- Create and deliver an effective, consistent communication strategy and program;
- Effectively manage CICV’s array of member services and pursuit of new opportunities for collaboration among members;
- Enhance the technological capacity of CICV; and
- Actively collaborate with other Virginia organizations that support independent higher education.
Desired Qualities, Skills, and Experiences:
- A collaborative, engaging personality;
- Exceptional communication, interpersonal, and relationship-building skills;
- An entrepreneurial and innovative outlook;
- Strong organizational management skills and experience;
- Demonstrated knowledge of and commitment to independent higher education;
- Experience with developing effective communication strategies and utilizing technology to deliver clear and consistent messaging; and
- Knowledge of and experience with legislative affairs, preferably in Virginia, and the independent higher education sector.
More information about CICV is available on the CICV website and in the search profile, available for download above.
CICV is being assisted in this search by Academic Search. Confidential discussions about this opportunity may be arranged by contacting Jay Lemons at email@example.com, Stuart Dorsey at firstname.lastname@example.org, or Jennifer Kooken at email@example.com.
Applications should consist of a letter of interest, resume, and contact information for five references (who will not be contacted without the explicit permission of the candidate). The position is open until filled but only applications received by Saturday, October 29, 2022, can be assured full consideration. Applications, nominations, and expressions of interest can be submitted in confidence to CICVPresident@academicsearch.org.