Centenary University invites applications and nominations for the position of President.
Centenary University, located in Hackettstown, the heart of northwest New Jersey’s historic Skylands Region, has a 155-year tradition of providing high-quality liberal arts and professional studies while helping students gain the skills and connections they need to prosper in today’s world. Centenary is a private, co-educational, and close-knit university community — an environment where every professor and staff member is invested in student success.
The university enrolls 1,551 students, including 1,128 undergraduate students and 423 graduate students. Approximately 700 undergraduates live on-campus. Over 80 percent of students are from New Jersey and, of those students, over half come from the counties surrounding Centenary. Centenary’s students pursue their academic interests in bachelor’s, master’s, and professional certificate programs. Centenary upholds a tradition of promoting service to others as a critical component of higher education — a core principle since its founding in 1867 by the Newark Conference of the United Methodist Church.
Centenary is located about an hour from New York City and about an hour and a half from Philadelphia. The university is in the center of Hackettstown, New Jersey, a city located along the banks of the Musconetcong River and home to many thriving and noteworthy businesses, including Mars Chocolate North America. Hackettstown is in the Skylands Region of New Jersey, which is known for its lakes, rivers, and rolling hills, as well as 60,000 acres of state parkland.
Centenary University seeks an exceptional individual to foster and advance the university’s vision and mission. The ideal candidate will:
- Have a terminal degree with significant and proven higher education leadership experience or a compelling alternative background.
- Be an entrepreneur with a strong skill set in planning, organizing, implementing, and evaluating.
- Be a visionary who is able to lead innovation in higher education in the 21st century and inspire support for that vision.
- Possess well-developed business acumen and be a skilled strategist with a strong task orientation.
- Have the skills to engage government, business, philanthropic, academic, and other leaders to develop partnerships and secure resources.
- Demonstrate a deep commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging.
- Be an individual of unquestionable integrity.
- Embrace and advance the mission of Centenary University.
More information, including an institutional profile with additional information on the campus and the search, is available at the link above.
How to Apply: Applications should consist of a substantive cover letter, a CV, and a list of five professional references with full contact information. No references will be contacted without the explicit permission of the candidate. Applications, nominations, and expressions of interest can be submitted electronically, and in confidence, to:
The position is open until filled but only applications received by Monday, December 5, 2022, can be assured full consideration. The university is being assisted by Academic Search. Confidential discussions about this opportunity may be arranged by contacting consultants Ann Hasselmo at Ann.Hasselmo@academicsearch.org and Chris Butler at Chris.Butler@academicsearch.org. Further information about Centenary University is available at https://www.centenaryuniversity.edu/.
Centenary University is an equal opportunity institution.