Mary Baldwin University invites applications and nominations for its tenth President.
A distinctive small, private university enrolling 1,957 students, Mary Baldwin University fulfills its mission by providing undergraduate, graduate, and professional education to a diverse population of women and men. The university is organized into three academic colleges and offers more than 40 programs of study supported by traditional classroom teaching, online, and work experience. Mary Baldwin emphasizes high ethical standards and the development of critical, creative, and reflective reasoning as the foundation for fulfilling and meaningful lives in the fast-changing new economy.
Mary Baldwin offers an authentic learning community committed to diversity and inclusivity. Programmatic experiences designed to build community and a sense of belonging are an essential part of a Mary Baldwin education. Professors, advisors, and staff members are dedicated to providing consistent, customized support to equip students with skills, experience, confidence, and career-oriented credentials. Across all programs, Mary Baldwin recognizes the need for students to achieve successful careers and financial stability. As a result, the university has been consistently recognized as one of the nation’s top colleges for promoting social mobility by U.S. News & World Report.
Mary Baldwin is located in Staunton, Virginia, known for its historic architecture and culturally vibrant downtown. Named among Smithsonian Magazine’s “20 Best Small Towns in America,” Staunton is also in the heart of Virginia’s Education and Technology Corridor and home to a thriving nonprofit and business community and advanced health care facilities.
Founded in 1842, Mary Baldwin has provided life-changing education in response to and anticipation of societal and global changes. Rooted in the belief that education is a key to transforming the lives of students, their families, communities, and society at large, throughout its history, the university has made bold strategic changes to enable it to fulfill this mission of service. Founded as a women’s college, in the past decade, the university successfully converted to coeducation, achieved university status, expanded graduate programs, and inaugurated the Murphy Deming College of Health Sciences, which has achieved stunning results in a few short years.
The next president must continue to advance the institution’s evolutionary development to maintain and enhance the university’s ability to sustain its critical mission in a world of change. Mary Baldwin seeks an innovative and accomplished leader who will possess the vision and the will to challenge the university community to take the bold steps needed to meet the realities of higher education in the 21st century and propel the university to a successful and sustainable future. The ideal candidate will:
- Demonstrate the courage and the ability to make bold choices. Exhibit a record of entrepreneurial innovation, creativity, calculated risk-taking, strategic decision-making, and success in execution. Understand that decisions must be data-driven and based on a deep understanding of Mary Baldwin’s circumstances and niche.
- Possess the skills and inclination to develop networks and relationships necessary to bring significant change to fruition in a complex organization.
- Demonstrate strategic agility; able to inspire, hold others accountable, show courage of conviction, and patience with a finely tuned sense of timing.
- Communicate with skill, sincerity, and empathy. Listen, learn from others, and directly communicate intentions and decisions with logic, respect, and honesty. Value students’ well-being and personal development and show respect for the faculty and other members of the Mary Baldwin community.
- Exhibit success in fundraising and partnership building.
- Possess strong financial acumen and a keen understanding of sound fiscal management.
- Demonstrate a commitment to and track record of advancing diversity, equity, inclusion, and social justice and an ability to inspire others to join the mission.
- Show enthusiasm and skill for engaging with others, including the Mary Baldwin community, local and regional organizations and leaders, and national organizations that share the values and mission of the university.
- Possess a thorough understanding of governance, the fiduciary role of the board, and as appropriate, the value added by the experience and insights of the faculty and staff.
More information about Mary Baldwin University, the leadership agenda for the next president, and how to apply is provided in the search profile, available in the link above.
Academic Search is assisting Mary Baldwin University with the presidential search. To arrange a confidential conversation with a member of the consulting team, Sharon Herzberger, Jay Lemons, or Jennifer Kooken, please contact MBUPresident@academicsearch.org.
Applications, nominations, and expressions of interest may be submitted in confidence to MBUPresident@academicsearch.org. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled, but only those received by Sunday, January 8, 2023, can be assured full consideration.
Mary Baldwin University values diversity and is committed to equal opportunity for all persons regardless of age, color, disability, ethnicity, marital status, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other status protected by law.