Vice President for University Advancement
Application deadline: June 6, 2023
Senior Consultant: Ann Die Hasselmo
Consultant: Chris Butler
Associate Consultant: Kate Cusimano
California State University Maritime Academy (Cal Maritime) invites nominations and applications for the position of Vice President for University Advancement. As one of only seven degree-granting maritime academies in the United States – and the only one on the West Coast – Cal Maritime is a unique and specialized institution in the California State University System that combines classroom learning with applied technology, leadership development, and global awareness.
Located in Vallejo, California on the northeast corner of San Francisco Bay, Cal Maritime serves approximately 1,000 students in seven undergraduate majors and one graduate program. Cal Maritime’s enduring responsibility is to train, educate, and develop graduates for leadership positions in the global maritime profession. Quality, personalized teaching is provided with a student-to-faculty ratio of 18-to-1 and an average class size of 20, as students experience intellectual learning in technology-equipped classrooms and modern simulators and laboratories. Cal Maritime’s academic departments are organized into three schools: the School of Engineering; the School of Maritime Transportation, Logistics, and Management (MTLM); and the School of Letters and Sciences (L&S).
The Vice President for University Advancement (VPUA) is responsible for planning, implementing, and managing all aspects of the community and university relationships pertaining to the Division of University Advancement. The VPUA also serves as the Executive Director of the California Maritime Academy Foundation (CMAF). The incumbent is responsible for the strategic planning, design, implementation, and management of Development; Advancement Services; Alumni Relations; the solicitations of individuals, foundations, and corporations; capital and special campaigns; and advancement special events in support of established academic and campus priorities.
The Division of University Advancement generates the external recognition, support, and financial resources the university needs to carry out its mission and achieve its aspirational goals. Working with alumni, parents, donors, and community members, University Advancement broadens the resources available to the university to enhance academic quality and enrich the local and world community. University Advancement is committed, through the generosity of donors, to transforming Cal Maritime into a premier institution of national distinction.
The qualified candidate will have served in progressive leadership roles for an advancement organization, preferably in an institution of higher education, which will include the following experience:
- Demonstrated experience and success in fundraising.
- Demonstrated experience in foundation oversight and personnel management of local and remote staff.
- Demonstrated understanding of the best practices of the various components within University Advancement: Development, Advancement Services, and Alumni Relations.
- Demonstrated ability to conceptualize and implement a comprehensive strategy for institutional advancement, which involves the academic and other leadership of the institution.
- Demonstrated experience working effectively with a President, Vice Presidents, Senior Leadership, Deans, and board leadership (i.e., foundation and alumni association) to develop and implement an effective strategic plan for raising funds and advancing the institution.
- Demonstrated experience and success in leading a comprehensive fundraising campaign. Ability to guide and extract vision from the Deans and to coach non-fundraising professionals in the fundamentals of fundraising strategies and processes.
- Demonstrated personal success with major gifts. This includes the ability to plan, organize, and implement fundraising activities effectively, as well as participate in high-level individual and corporate solicitations.
- Experience working successfully with or leading an alumni relations program.
- Demonstrated understanding of how emerging technologies are applied to advancement to improve the effectiveness and efficiencies of the organization.
- A track record of reaching out to a greater constituency than the local community of a campus.
- Excellent writing, organizational, presentation, interpersonal, and managerial skills.
- A commitment to advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Experience managing a budget and a staff while also supporting the professional growth of staff.
A Bachelor’s degree is required with a Master’s degree preferred. A demonstrated record of ethical performance and success in advancement is required. Experience in higher education is preferred.
More information, including an institutional profile with a full list of duties and responsibilities, is available in the profile link above.
How to Apply
The university is being assisted by Academic Search. Applications should consist of a substantive cover letter, a resume, and a list of five professional references with full contact information. No references will be contacted without the explicit permission of the candidate. Applications, nominations, and expressions of interest can be submitted electronically, and in confidence, to:
The position is open until filled, but only applications received by Tuesday, June 6, 2023, can be assured full consideration. Confidential discussions about this opportunity may be arranged by contacting consultants Ann Die Hasselmo and Chris Butler. The anticipated hiring salary is $17,307/month (with a hiring range of $9,167 -$29,425 per month).
Cal Maritime is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer. The university subscribes to all state and federal regulations and prohibits discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, sex, gender identity/gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, age, disability, genetic information, medical condition, covered veteran status, or any other protected status. Reasonable Accommodations will be provided to applicants with qualifying disabilities who self-disclose by contacting the Benefits Coordinator at (707) 654-1146.