Vice President for Advancement Operations
Application deadline: May 24, 2023
Senior Consultant: Kate Nolde
Associate Consultant: Marcie Mikolay
Southern University System Foundation invites nominations and applications for the position of Vice President for Advancement Operations. As a member of the Foundation Leadership Team, the Vice President will lead SU’s strategy for all areas supporting philanthropic revenue generation, including donor stewardship and recognition prospect research, technology management, dashboards, analytics, foundation communications and Valdry Center and Matthews Center programming.
Reporting to the Foundation CEO and coordinating with Vice President for Institutional and Legacy Giving and the CFO, this position will be charged with centralizing and instituting best practices for data collection and quality, gift entry, pledge management, acknowledgements, stewardship, prospect research, policies and procedures, fundraising platforms, and all other operations functions. This VP will forge strong relationships with the deans and directors of development in the colleges, schools, and units, to provide stellar customer service, as well as actionable and transparent resources related to workflow and best practices in the areas of digital communication, stewardship, and fund creation/management.
This role will supervise the Database Manager, Director of Communications, and Director of Programs, and serve as the leadership for all areas of advancement and operations. The VP will lead strategy and coordination of all back-office functions that support increased fundraising and a positive donor experience.
- Bachelor’s degree required; with a Master’s degree preferred.
- Previous relevant experience (minimum of 7 years) of relevant experience in advancement operations.
- A demonstrated record of success in managing institutional and individual donor portfolios and achieving fundraising goals.
- A progressive record of successful higher education or non-profit fundraising leadership.
- Proficiency in planned giving strategies and implementation.
- A track record of leading and managing staff with increasing responsibility over time.
- Superior skills in communications, data collection and management,
- A record of tangible contributions to advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion that speak to the needs of a diverse alumni, staff, and student body.
- Demonstrated understanding of the mission of an institution of higher education.
- Previous experience working with and advising senior leadership is required.
- Strong writing and interpersonal communication skills.
- Superb attention to detail and ability to switch between details and bigger impact of collective details.
- Experience using prospect management software.
- An analytical mindset with problem-solving skills.
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills.
- A high degree of energy, strong business acumen, and the agility to develop an entrepreneurial, performance-based team culture within an advancement division.
- Experience in and knowledge of the nonprofit sector and particularly in higher education is strongly preferred.
Application and Nomination Process
Southern University System Foundation has enlisted the support of Academic Search in this search. Those who are considering applying are encouraged to schedule a confidential conversation with the senior consultant for this search, Ms. Kate Nolde, at email@example.com.
Applications should consist of the following documents, to be submitted electronically in .pdf format:
- Detailed letter of interest addressing the leadership agenda and qualifications as outlined in this profile.
- Full resume with relevant administrative responsibilities and accomplishments.
- List of five professional references, including names, phone numbers, and email addresses, noting the candidate’s relationship for each reference. References will not be contacted until later in the search process and only with the candidate’s permission.
Application materials, nominations, and expressions of interest should be submitted to SouthernVPAO@academicsearch.org. Nominations should include the nominee’s full name, position, institution/organization, and email address.
Although applications will be reviewed until the position is filled, to ensure full consideration, application materials should be received by May 24, 2022. Finalists for the position will participate in campus interviews that will include a public presentation. A background check (including identity, degree verification, and criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered this position.
In compliance with Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, Title VI and VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, and other federal, state, and local laws, Southern University and A&M College forbids discriminating or harassing conduct that is based on an individual’s race, color, religion, sex, ethnicity, national origin or ancestry, age, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, veteran or military status, membership in Uniformed Services, and all other categories protected by applicable state and federal laws. This commitment applies but is not limited to decisions made with respect to hiring and promotion, the administration’s educational programs and policies, scholarship, and loan programs, and athletic or other College administered programs. Discriminatory acts of any kind are strictly forbidden.