Nevada State College (www.nsc.edu) invites applications, nominations, and inquiries for the position of Dean of the School of Liberal Arts and Sciences, to begin January 2021. This is an exciting opportunity for an energetic professional to join a young, growing, and vibrant college as the leader of its largest academic unit, the School of Liberal Arts and Sciences (LAS).
The dean oversees the college’s portfolio of liberal arts, sciences, and business course offerings and programs. The position fosters a positive and productive work environment that supports students in fulfilling their academic aspirations and faculty members’ development in their professional careers. To these ends, the next dean will have academic leadership experience, dedication to teaching excellence and student success, experience mentoring and supporting faculty, and the demonstrated ability to engage others in developing and implementing high-impact programs that prepare students for successful lives and academic productivity. The position will also contribute to the college’s long-term planning.
- A Ph.D. in a discipline currently offered by LAS or a closely-related Arts, Humanities, Science (social, physical, or natural), or Business field.
- At least three years of leadership experience at the level of associate dean or higher.
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity, inclusion, transparency, and shared governance.
- Demonstrated commitment to a teaching-focused and student-centered environment.
- Demonstrated effective communication and problem-solving skills.
- A record of distinguished teaching and service with sufficient evidence of scholarly achievements to achieve the rank of professor. (Click here to find the requirements for rank.)
- Experience managing academic budgets.
- Evidence of an ability to manage conflict and foster a positive and collegial work environment.
- Experience with organizational and professional development.
- Experience with managing growth and leading organizational change.
- Demonstrated understanding and experience with high-impact teaching and learning practices, including assessment of student learning and evidence-based decision-making in student support and retention.
Additional information about this opportunity can be found in the position profile at:
Applications must be sent electronically in Word or PDF format to NSCDeanArtSc@academicsearch.org and should include (1) a cover letter addressing the position qualifications and the candidate’s background in supporting diversity and inclusion, (2) a curriculum vitae, and (3) a list of at least five professional references with contact information, including telephone and email. References will not be contacted without the explicit permission of the candidate. The search is being assisted by Academic Search, Inc. Confidential discussions or inquiries with consultant Jean Floten (firstname.lastname@example.org) are encouraged.
Initial screening of applications will begin immediately and continue until an appointment is made. To be given full consideration for this position, applications should be submitted before August 14, 2020. All nominations, applications, and inquiries will be held in complete confidence until finalists are identified for on-campus interviews. Finalists must be willing to undergo a background check.
Nevada State College is committed to providing a place of work and learning free of discrimination on the basis of race, color, national origin, disability (whether actual or perceived), religion, age, sex/gender (including pregnancy-related conditions), sexual orientation, gender identify or expression, genetic information, or veteran status in the programs or activities which it operates. Where discrimination is found to have occurred, NSC will act to stop the discrimination, to prevent its recurrence, to remedy its effects, and to discipline those responsible.