The American University of Nigeria (AUN) announces an international search for an accomplished academic leader to become the University’s next Vice Chancellor/President. It is anticipated that the new Vice Chancellor/President will assume office by October 2020 or soon thereafter.
The University was developed in response to the demand for high quality, American-style education in Nigeria. It is located in Yola, the capital of Adamawa State in northeast Nigeria, near the border with Cameroon. AUN was chartered in 2004 and is West Africa’s first private, not-for-profit American-style university. Though Western in character, AUN is distinctively Nigerian, and aspires to international recognition for academic excellence with an innovative development focus. AUN was created in consultation with the American University, Washington, D.C. With 1,060 students and 81 faculty members, and with classes offered at the undergraduate and graduate level, AUN is poised for significant enrollment growth and academic distinction.
The next Vice Chancellor/President of AUN, who serves as the University’s Chief Executive Officer, will have an extraordinary opportunity to influence the future direction of this young institution in its service to Nigeria and West Africa. The agenda for the new President/Vice Chancellor will revolve around strategic planning, financial management and resource development, strengthening the academic program, fostering community trust, and further developing facilities and infrastructure.
AUN seeks a Vice Chancellor/President who has been successful in a major administrative and leadership role in an American or American-style university, and who possesses a strong commitment to the development and ongoing transformation of the African continent through higher education.
The next Vice Chancellor/President should be:
- an accomplished scholar with a Ph.D. from an accredited institution at the rank of full professor with several years of teaching and research in a University setting;
- a senior administrator with experience at the Dean level or above;
- a successful fundraiser with a track record of successfully identifying external financial support and cultivating prospective donors to ensure the financial sustainability of a university;
- an experienced academic who understands the interactive nature of teaching and research, the characteristics of undergraduate and graduate programs, and the contributions of the liberal arts and professional programs;
- a leader who will enjoy and be effective in formal and informal interactions with students, faculty and staff in a setting where most live as well as work;
- a tireless proponent of diversity and inclusion, who will bring an international outlook combined with genuine appreciation of the local culture; and
- a professional who is able to make at least a five-year commitment to provide steady, long-term guidance for the direction of the university.
NOMINATION AND APPLICATION PROCESS
Applications will be received until the position is filled, but to assure full consideration, all required materials must be on file by July 31, 2020. The review of applications will begin upon receipt and, given the short timeline for the search, candidates are urged to submit applications as early as possible. Additional information about the institution can be found at https://www.aun.edu.ng. The search profile can be found at https://academicsearch.org/open-searches-public/.
All application materials and nominations must be electronically submitted to:
firstname.lastname@example.org. All inquiries should be addressed to Maya Kirkhope, Senior Consultant at Academic Search. Maya is on U.S. eastern time and can be reached at (703) 380 9195 or at email@example.com.