Muskingum University seeks a talented, experienced professional to serve as the next Executive Assistant to the President. The Executive Assistant will provide high-level administrative and operational support to President Susan Hasseler in a one-on-one working relationship and will serve as an essential contributor and support person to the President’s Senior Leadership Team. Most importantly, this individual will have a key role in supporting the President’s work to deliver Muskingum University’s mission of “educating the whole person for the whole world.”
ABOUT MUSKINGUM UNIVERSITY
Founded in 1837 in New Concord, Ohio, Muskingum University is a comprehensive liberal arts institution affiliated with the Presbyterian Church USA that emphasizes entrepreneurial and experiential learning opportunities on its campus, in the community, and around the world. Muskingum offers more than 60 undergraduate majors, which prepare students for the professional workforce and advanced studies; three master’s degree programs; a post-master’s degree; the Muskingum Adult Program, which features online and evening courses; and workforce development partnerships for continuing education. Muskingum’s excellence is measured most significantly by its alumni, who have served as corporate CEOs, media figures, scientists, educators, health professionals, civic leaders, neighbors, and friends. Muskingum’s total undergraduate, graduate, and adult learner student population is approximately 2,500.
THE ROLE OF THE EXECUTIVE ASSISTANT TO THE PRESIDENT
The Executive Assistant to the President is the principal aide and logistics manager to the President and works autonomously on projects, both individually and within a nimble, fast-paced environment. The Executive Assistant must be able to assess matters regarding sensitivity, relative importance, and immediacy, anticipate needs, and make decisions based on this analysis. The Executive Assistant serves as a liaison between the President’s Office and Board of Trustees, faculty, staff, students, and external constituents. As such, this professional position requires a thorough knowledge of Muskingum University policies, procedures, and operations and an understanding the University’s role within the community.
RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE EXECUTIVE ASSISTANT TO THE PRESIDENT
As a professional who works closely with and often represents the President, the Executive Assistant generally fulfills these major duties and responsibilities:
- Perform complex administrative duties, including composing correspondence, reports, and presentation materials, independently and on a wide variety of matters and with varying levels of confidentiality and urgency.
- Ensure responsive, accurate, proactive, and collaborative communication with the President, Senior Leadership Team, and the entire University community. This communication includes managing inquiries from the public, students, faculty, and staff with pleasant professionalism and discretion.
- Work in collaboration with the Administrative Assistant assigned to manage the President’s calendar.
- Provide the President with full briefing materials in advance of all meetings and activities.
- Manage the operational and financial affairs of the President’s Office, including processing reimbursements and requisitions for the President’s Office.
- Coordinate with the Office of Marketing and Communications on message strategies and specific communications from the President’s Office.
- Maintain a central record-keeping system to ensure that documents are easily accessible and that appropriate materials are archived.
- Coordinate with appropriate campus offices to plan events, such as receptions and dinners, at the President’s House and in other on- and off-campus locations, as requested by the President.
- Coordinate with the Advancement staff on development/fundraising activities and correspondence.
- Work collaboratively with members of the Senior Leadership Team and the staff in those offices.
- Provide support to the Muskingum University Board of Trustees by coordinating meeting logistics, preparing materials, managing travel arrangements, and managing the Board of Trustees intranet site, as needed.
- Produce coherent and concise minutes for Senior Leadership Team and other meetings.
- Research issues and advise the President on matters as requested.
- Utilize knowledge of University policy, procedures, and practices to guide all areas of their responsibility.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
The successful candidate will have these required qualifications:
- A bachelor’s degree.
- At least two years of experience providing advanced or executive-level administrative support.
- A demonstrated professional manner, as well as high level of interpersonal skills to handle time-sensitive, confidential, and stressful situations in a fast-paced environment.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including writing proficiency to prepare and edit materials using standard business conventions for correspondence, spelling, and usage.
- Excellent technology skills, including demonstrated knowledge of Microsoft Office 365 products, office management programs, databases, internet, and social media sites.
- Ability to take initiative, anticipate needs, and exercise independent judgment.
- Ability to effectively organize and prioritize multiple projects simultaneously.
- Ability to interact effectively with a wide variety of people, demonstrating intercultural competence and a thoughtful communication style.
- Ability to exercise appropriate discretion and high ethical standards in all interactions.
- Desire to continue to grow, learn, and network as a professional executive assistant.
- Desire to acquire an understanding of the mission and strategic initiatives of Muskingum University.
- Demonstrated commitment to an open, inclusive environment, with an emphasis on coordination, communication, and teamwork.
APPLICATION AND NOMINATION PROCESS
Muskingum University has partnered with Academic Search in the process of recruiting the next Executive Assistant to the President. Applications should consist of these parts: 1) a cover letter addressing the reasons for interest in this position, based on the candidate’s experience and skills; 2) a professional résumé; and 3) a list of five professional references (name, title/position, organization/institution, phone number, email address).
Applications and nominations should be submitted electronically, and in confidence, to MuskingumEA@academicsearch.org. Applications are due by December 10, 2021, with the expectation that President Hasseler will select the new Executive Assistant by the end of the calendar year.
Confidential discussions about this position are welcome. Please contact either of the Academic Search Senior Consultants, Ms. Kate Nolde or Dr. Ginny Horvath.
Muskingum University actively seeks out and welcomes administrators and staff who are committed to excellence in student learning, consider the engagement of diverse communities in the University’s educational programs and activities, and are committed to full inclusivity at the University. As an equal opportunity employer, Muskingum welcomes applications from individuals from populations, which have been historically underrepresented in higher education and/or have experience working with students from diverse backgrounds.
Muskingum University does not discriminate in its employment or educational programs or activities. Please visit https://www.muskingum.edu/non-discrimination-statement to review the university’s official non-discrimination statement.